Friday, April 6, 2012

Training is Mental...

Part of me felt like I was completely mental yesterday when I woke up. My poor legs were aching from the previous day of training, and I couldn't believe after being only one day in I had made a terrible mistake. So, what did I do? I showered and dressed, immediately putting on my running clothes. I was allowing myself no time or excuses to back down to the physical distress. I couldn't let it beat me!

After taking my van in for routine service, I drove to my office. From there I took my lunch break to run. I completed week 1, day 2 of the interval training. Yes, I said completed! I actually even enjoyed it more. The app on my phone got me through all the intervals correctly, though it still didn't capture all my data, and I found I was better able to run through my pain, knowing what I was in for (as opposed to the shock of day 1).

This venture is definitely making me stronger. From the muscle pain, I can tell I'm physically building myself up. Even neater, though, is that I'm finding an inner strength. My mind is beating those pesky self defeating demons I know everyone battles. Running is a mental exercise, and I'm so glad it is actually keeping me from going crazy.

Today, I am going to allow my body the chance to recoup from the first two days and just do a 30 minute brisk walk. Tomorrow, though, I will complete my first week of training. How cool is that? Ok, gotta go stretch!

1 comment: