Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Starting off on the Right Foot!

I was out for a walk today when my feet got the itch...the itch to run! While the rest of my body wasn't so sure, it took the lead from first my right, and then my left, foot. After I quickly covered a quarter mile, my body went back to controlling my pace. I started to speed walk again, but in that moment I realized that I want more out of my daily work-out than the burning of calories. I need a goal, something to work towards. But what would that be? And what is realistic? I mean, seriously, anyone who knows me could tell you I am not an athlete!

Once back to my office and my fingers could start tapping on my keyboard, I found myself searching for training tips to running a 5K. Before I knew it, I was registered for my first race and put an app on my Droid phone to train from "Couch to 5K" in 9 weeks. And did I mention that 5K I registered for is in 9 weeks?! Aaahhh!!!

Just so I wouldn't back out, I made the news public to my nearly 500 "friends" on FaceBook. Now, I have to stick with the program - literally. And since I went that far already, I decided to also blog about my successes and challenges. There will be no failures. My timeline doesn't have any wiggle room for that to happen.

Welcome to my venture into health, fitness, and becoming a real runner. Why would I do this? Well, I want to look good in clothes, of course, but this isn't just for vanity. I want to be healthy, to actually feel good, and most importantly, to be a good example for my girls. Oh, and did I mention that running allows me time to myself? What wife, mom, career woman doesn't want that?

We're in this together, right?

XOXO,
Gracie

2 comments: