Monday, April 16, 2012

Leaping Over Hurdles


No, I'm not taking on the track event of hurdles (though I think it's super fun), but I have had to overcome a few obstacles in my training as of late. The good news is, I did swerve, jump, dodge, and take on the issues without letting them trip me up...too much!

The whole sick thing became a real problem. After completing Week 2, Day 1 of training, I got super sick! My respiratory infection also became a sinus and ear infection. It knocked me out completely for a few days. That also defeated my spirit. I looked at my training schedule and all the opportunities to run that I missed being ill, which left me feeling overwhelmed. How in the world could I pick myself back up and get in the game, knowing I was so far behind?

Well, I did it the only way possible, I got well. Then, I strapped on my Nikes and hit the trails. Now, I have officially completed week 2 of training!

I've gotten a lot of joy just from being outside. I've watched the trees get their leaves, flowers bloom, deer eating their lunch at a clearing in the woods, and wonderful birds flying all about - orioles, cardinals, woodpeckers, and robins. In that time I'm run/walking, I may have to remind myself to keep going, but I don't ever stop taking it all in. What a pleasure it is to run with the wild!

Now, I have begun tracking my distance to determine how well I am doing at achieving my 5K (3.1 mile) run goal. I made it 2.04 miles today in 29 minutes. Woohoo! I'm so close I can taste it.

See you at the finish line...

No comments:

Post a Comment