Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Back on the Bandwagon

I never stopped working out, but I did take a very long hiatus from my blog. After running my first 5K in May, I guess I felt I was done with all this reflection. Alas, that was not the case. As anyone who knows me is aware, I am rarely (and I mean never) at a loss for words. So, while I achieved my Couch to 5K goal, running and fitness became a lifelong commitment. Who knew!?! Things have changed in a lot of ways, though. I wrangled my co-worker, Caitlin, who also happens to be a personal trainer, into working with me on building my strength. Once I completed the 5K, I found I needed another goal, a new sense of motivation and drive. I found it. After Caitlin led me through my first boot camp session, I nearly passed out and threw up. It consisted of two minutes cardio alternating with two minutes of strength. The original thought was to do 20-30 minutes. I made it a whopping 16 minutes. Yes, a mere 16 minutes brought me to my knees. What a lesson I learned that day. I had endurance to run 3.1 miles, but I had a lot of work to do to be "fit". From that day, I was hooked! So, where am I now? I am still working hard at strengthening and running. I do this through four workouts a week at a minimum, two days running and two days of strength training. Thank God for Caitlin, she is still whipping me into shape, pushing me to lift weights, attempt pull ups, and really work my core. I've shed more weight, but more importantly, my shape is changing. I can see muscle in my arms, back, legs, and even in my abdomen. I never thought I would look like this, but now, I know I can do even better. The time in the gym has made an immense impact on my running. I'm much more efficient and effective. That first timed 5K I ran in May was completed in 37:34. The next one I ran was on September 23rd and was completed in 35:29. Considering my running efforts have remained the same, I know this more than two minute improvement can be attributed to the weight training, boot camp, and core circuit. The hard work is paying off! The one constant through whatever exercise routine I tackle has been the way it lifts my spirits. It provides me with time to center myself and let go of the day's problems and frustrations. As a woman who worries, who never stops thinking, and very easily becomes absorbed and overwhelmed by any situation I'm in, there has been no greater therapy for me than hitting the pavement (or the gym). It makes me stronger in mind, heart, and body. It brings me joy, hope, and inspiration. For example, today I only got in a 1.45 mile run, but I did it in an admirable time for me - just 13:42. Now, that is a good break from the office! Somehow, after feeling the cold air hit my lungs and sun making me squint and legs becoming jell-o while simultaneously holding me up with great strength, I found myself in a much better place to take on the day. I truly thank God I found running! What's next? A 5K on Saturday, October 20 and another 5K on November 4. Sometime soon I look forward to sharing a video of me completing my first ever pull up, as well! For now, I am off and running... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment